How to Recover Deleted Whatsapp Chat History
Method 1 of 2: Recent Chats
WhatsApp has this intelligent feature to automatically create a backup of your data everyday at 4 am system time and store it on your SD card. So , if your deleted history was less than 7 days old, all you have to do is remove and reinstall the app and click on "Restore" button to get all your data back.
Method 2 of 2: Older Chats
- Connect your device to your PC and navigate to the database folder of the SD card. The route is /sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases.
- You will see many files saved with names like “msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt”. Here “YYYY-MM-DD” is the year, month and date respectively.
- Locate the file named “msgstore.db.crypt” and rename it by simply adding something like "OLD" to the filename. You need to do this to backup the file for the reason you will see below.
- Now, other files will also have a date following the name. Choose the file with the desired date (depending on how old is your chat you want to recover).
- Name this file “msgstore.db.crypt”.Now get back to your android device.
- Follow the method 1 of reinstalling and clicking on restore button. This will restore your old messages.
- IMPORTANT NOTE : This procedure will replace your new messages with the old ones. There is no simple way to merge your old messages with your existing ones. If you want your recent messages back, recover the backup file you created in step 3 in the same manner.